January 13, 2010

A Conscious Twinterview Double Feature: SoSoon & Spills


It's early in the morning. The sun's still asleep and I'm supposed to be catching up on work. I wanted to see who else was up and decided to toss out the question, "Who wants to be Twinterviewed?". The 2 night owls who responded are two very talent individuals that love making music and have a whole lot of good information to share. Meet SoSoon and Spills... Oh yeah, by the way I'm Conscious the Twitter Interviewer...

How'd you come up with your performance names?

SirSoSoon: I used to have the name JSkillz; was lame so I wanted something with no J's or initials (J's 1st letter of my given name). I also wanted something that represented hip hop and my idea of the mark I intend to leave on this culture. I'm also an acronym fiend!

Spillsmusic: I almost ruined a club PA system by knocking over a drink on to a DI box.

Good enough answer for me. How long have you been rhyming and what made you even start to begin with?

SirSoSoon: I've been rhyming since 14, seriously since 17. I was sheltered as a youth so I spent much time in my room listening to hip hop. Ultimately the decision came about because it was the only thing I knew I was not only passionate about, but genuinely good at!

Spillsmusic: I get inspired by another song, and rip it off, i.e, steal an element/idea. Then I build on it until its something different.

When sitting down to create, what's the process like? What generally sparks your best work?

SirSoSoon: Every moment of everyday my mind is thinking of a new concept. I write em down as soon as I think of em. I listen to my collection of production to see if I have something suitable. If I don't have it, I hold the concept until I come across one for it. The writing process for me is a puzzle; I may work on the 3rd stanza of a 16 bar verse before I finish the 1st stanza! Very particular about bar and verse placement. Very detail oriented, very particular with how words and syllables flow.

How'd you come up with the Michael Jackson tribute song? Did you deliberate much or was it pretty easy to knock out?

SirSoSoon: #whosbad was a beat I had for a while from my producer SK. Originally I had no immediate intent on doing anything w/ it b/c of obvious sample clearance issues. Team SoSoon and I decided its perfect for the 1st album; The Bandwagon... Directors Cut is my audio movie of songs that won't make the The Bandwagon be it b/c of sample issues, or just because they don't quite fit the order of the movie.

You play a few instruments. Are you self taught or have you had any instruction in the past?

Spillsmusic: I was classically trained in flute, tuba & trumpet, taught myself guitar, Reason, Logic, Sonar / Pro Tools. Online tutorials are amazing as well. Learning new things about music in general is my vocation.

What's the first real song that you remember writing and recording? The first one you were sure about. This is good.

SirSoSoon: Keeping in mind the difference between good and great!!! Revolution. The song Revolution was my 1st "conscious" (pun intended) song. It was the 1st song I wrote that meant something to not only me but the listeners. I wrote it as a college freshman; prior to college I didn't have any significant life experiences to talk about.

Spillsmusic: Wrote a lot of songs w/o recording them... First songs I ever recorded were in college... here: http://bit.ly/5iRJXP

Do you ever fear the possibility or your pen running out of ink?

SirSoSoon: Not now!!! I've been writing more since the new year than I've ever written in one shot. I keep all my concepts just in case I have temporary lost of creative energy. For me, as long as I have a dope concept, a song WILL brew.

Logic is an amazing program to work with. What is your favorite feature of that particular DAW?

Spillmusic: The plug-ins are on point. Especially love the analyzer feature of the chan-eq plug-in. The bulit in sounds are amazing as well...

Is the album complete yet? What will stand out the most about the project in your opinion?

SirSoSoon: Just had a session today; album will be done before the end of the month; what will standout is the versatility. It's my belief that those who've seen me perform still don't know what to make of me (what type of emcee I am). b/c I constantly switch gears. I honestly believe that I've found the PERFECT formula 2 bring 2gether all the subgenre of hip hop in a non contradictory manner.

Follow SoSoon on Twitter: twitter.com/SirSoSoon

Follow Spills on Twitter: twitter.com/Spillsmusic
Follow Conscious on Twitter: twitter.com/Conscious Follow Freehiphopnow.com on Twitter: twitter.com/freehiphopnow

If you're not subscribed, you should be! Scroll up and type your email address in the subscription box in the right panel. We'll keep you updated. Send you free stuff. Make you eligible for contests and invite you to some great events for FREE or with a special discount...!


No comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain