October 12, 2006

The Grammys, Hip Hop, & Power....How are they related?

nixx.jpg

I wrote an article last week basically chastising the Grammy voting committee. I watched another Grammy ceremony where hip Hop really wasn’t represented as they are ignoring us, hoping that we will go away. So, I decided to conduct some research into the matter, and here are my findings:

My research did not unveil the Wizard of the Grammys pulling all the strings behind the scenes. There was no group holding special meetings to decide who would have increased record sales (a grammy always does that) & what labels can participate. There was no illuminati, or triad, or music mafia, although I sincerely hoped there was. Instead, what I found was a transparent criteria for being allowed to vote, and a simple voting process. (Check for yourself at www.grammy.com) I could be a member of the committee if I chose to do the work to meet the criteria in order to affect change.

In 1999, Jay-Z boycotted the Grammys because of the same issue of artists being overlooked. Unfortunately, the Hip Hop community did not mobilize behind him in order to get some real change. Real change in recognition will come when the Hip Hop community truly galvanizes and recognizes its true power. If it did, we would not have George Bush as the president and we would see Tego Calderon with 5 Grammys. Instead what we have is complaints that fall on dead ears and boycotts that no one notices.

http://www.theindustrycosign.com/site/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=4655&Itemid=29

No comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain