April 15, 2009

Q&A With Kalil Kash

Who is Kalil Kash and why is he doing music?

Kalil Kash is an artist straight out of Newark, New Jersey, who creates music that is based on his life's experiences and sometimes others'. Why I make music is actually a funny question. I started rapping mainly because I was bored and needed something to do (haha). But as of now, I'm motivated by the pure art of music, and seeing a fans amazement when I perform. That alone is priceless.

How do you conjure up the energy to rock on stage with the same enthusiasm you have all the time?

Well that energy is fueled by my love of performing. Never really gets old. Being on stage is some ill shit; that crowd looking at you and listening to your every word. I feed off the energy that the crowd gives so, that only makes it iller. Plus watching other good performers makes me want to perform as good as them if not better. I actually study performances from all genres of music and learn from that. So with all that, it just never gets old for me. I treat performing like im WITH the crowd instead of performing AT them. More fun that way.

Who inspires you the most both musically and music unrelated?

Musically I'm mostly inspired by Jay-Z. I know it seems like the cliche answer but I can't lie. It's his whole use of words and intricate lyricism that draws me to his music, and also his charisma on records. Other musical influences could definitely be Nas, Eminem, Notorious B.I.G., and strangely, Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam mostly because of their energy on stage and their lyrics and song topics, very inspiring.

Non-Musical influences? There's no one famous I could name, so I'll say my father. He just works so damn hard all the time, and it makes me feel bad to be lazy. Gives me an example of drive, you know.

As an artist what would consider your strengths, your weaknesses?

My strengths would be my originality, infectious delivery, and strong stage performances. My weaknesses; (ugh) my flow could be sharper, my hooks could have more diversity, and I should work with different types of artists more often.

What was the motivation for your newest song, 'Payday' produced by DJ Puerto Roc?

When I wrote the song I had the thought in mind like "this needs to be a good performance record." I just simply wanted a song that could rock the crowd easily, and so far it seems to be working. Plus the beat is just fuckin' RAW so. Can't be mad at that.

How do you go about deciding what production you're going to rhyme over?

I'm VERY picky with beats. Ask any producer I've worked with, they'll tell you. I do have somewhat of a process. I don't like when producers email me tracks and say "this is right for you!" How the hell do you know? I like actually going to MEET with the beat maker and working with him on a specific track. Whether he makes the beat from scratch or not, a producer has to understand an artist before he can work with him/her, and vice versa.

What's the future for Kalil Kash musically? How do you feel you'll tattoo the art form and leave your most impressive mark within the culture?

The future is looking bright. The game has changed so much though. Artists can't really rely on major labels like before, so the whole "I wanna get signed" idea has changed for me. I'm strictly "DIY." So the indie route is my way to go. As far as the actual art form, I see myself in my own lane sonically. If not then there's no point in doing it. But I'm not one of those cats making music that is so out of touch with reality that people can't FEEL it. I'm out to be considered one of the greats, bottom line. Making a few bucks doing it won't be so bad either (haha).

Gangster rapper, hipster rapper, backpacker, whatever; label me whatever you want, but I'm just an MC trying to sound like and be himself. I'll let the music speak for itself.

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain