March 17, 2008

Q&A With Jason Gloss of Philaflava

1. What made you decide to launch Philaflava? How long has it been up and how much time do you actually spend maintaining it? I launched Philaflava back in '01 as a promotional tool for our then radio show. Believe it or not, I spend quite a few hours a day maintaining the site. I probably spend more time than I need to but like many others it helps me get through the day, so I really don't mind.

2. What is the future of Philaflava? Will you expand the site anymore beyond what you already have going on, sponsor some shows to further brand the company or anything to that effect. I never really know the future because this music game is constantly changing. Besides having more content such as reviews and interviews, we are going to look into possibly having a yearly event in South Florida. Right now we are sponsoring a few shows. We also linked up with Guerilla Union to do Rock The Bells and Paid Dues so hopefully more of that.

I try and stay in my lane when it comes to that whole hip-hop site thing. There are a few really good sites (most being blogs), but out of the thousands of hip-hop sites out there just a handful deserved being bookmarked. Getting caught up in creating another MySpace isn't my plan, because I'm more focused on constant interaction between fans, rappers and whoever frequents Philaflava. It's more of a one-stop shop so as far as expanding, we'll probably continue to expand but mainly in our memberships.

3. How much of your opinion of an artist determines ultimately who is featured on your site considering you probably get a lotta of pitches for various artist from PR agencies quite frequently. Philaflava is one big cynical feast if you haven't already noticed. We hate everything and love very little, but it's refreshing for a lot of folks because people realize there is very little sugar coating going on. Without sounding bias I feel the site is home to some of the most informative, educated and entertaining people you'll find in hip-hop. My opinion probably doesn't mean much because there are many people on the site that probably subscribe to the same theories. I do make a conscious effort to get behind any project that I feel isn't getting its due. I have worked with many artists or labels in getting them more established on the site.

Jim Jonsin, producer for the stars and manager of B.O.B. wanted us to help hip people his next single with the help of the folks on Philaflava, so things like that do happen from time to time.

4. Do you feel that what you do providing a resource of info on artists and music as well as a forum for regular ol folks and artists alike to communicate online important and serves a purpose beyond just being another hiphop spot. Or is it just something you happen to do and you leave it as that? The site is growing rapidly but I can't take the credit, I'd like to but I can't. Philaflava is only as good as its members. As I said we're really are a one-stop shop. There is very little need to frequent many sites for the latest news because we have it. The latest leak, we got it. The discussions on the Golden Era, sports, the latest Portishead album or about the series finale of The Wire, we got it. We have something for everyone. Biko for politics. We got "CYE" which is an amazing forum dedicated to TV and movies. Elextric Relaxation for gaming. I sound like an info-mercial but we truly have something for everyone so yeah, I think we're providing a little more than a resource.


5. What was the last live show that you attended of any genre?
I think it was Rock The Bells with Nas & Wu-Tang. Great show. Before that was Billy Joel which was probably my favorite all-time.

6. What music do you currently have in rotation? What is your favorite hiphop album? What is your favorite non-hiphop album. Currently I'm listening to Portishead's "Third" on repeat for the past week. The "Thriller" re-release and Ras Kass' Soul On Ice. My favorite album is probably Midnight Mauraders by ATCQ. My favorite non-hiphop album is probably Appetite for Destruction" by GNR or Miles' "Kind of Blue."

7. Would you wrestle The Big Show for 20 million? Is that what Floyd Mayweather is getting? I haven't really followed wrestling in years but I'd probably wrestle just about anyone for 20 million, because after all wrestling is fake.

http://www.philaflava.com/

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain