March 10, 2008

Q&A With Kiew Nikon

Kiew Nikon. How'd you come up with that name? Does it have any special meaning? Kiew Nikon huh?...Lol... I started out with the name A20Q which stood for Another 20 Questions, then I quickly realized I got sick of explaining what the name means so... I changed the name to Qwest..before the phone company existed !! Then I finally decided to shorten the name to Q. Then I started to figure out that there is D.J Q-Bert, Q-Tip, etc...so I wrote the name Q phonetically to Kiew. But that was not enough so I was kicking around the idea of having a last name with Kiew. I was watching the movie Hackers one day and the only black guy in the movie his name was Lord Nikon. I thought that was so fresh so I put the two together and created Kiew Nikon. Now the meaning is funny... the letter Q is not used that much and everyone knows Nikon for the camera.. so I am the "unused eyes".

How'd you get involved with Slumphard Productions? What's the plan for getting this music you're making to the masses? It is a funny story...first of all I WAS working with a guy (you know who you are..I wont even waste my typing powers to write his name) and Slumphard came to the town and were looking for him since he has an album and has wanted to get out for a while but is a bit too lazy for his own good. They asked him about me... and he told them I would not be interested. (Are you serious?) So... after him hiding info and getting a show worked out with Motionman through Slumphard he was hiding tidbits of delicate information against both parties they called me trying to find out why I am not doing the show. I told them I did not know anything about it and they put me on the set. They advised me that they wanted to work with me really bad but "whatshisface" told them I did not want to. Next thing you know... they sign me for a distribution deal. That is that. So my plan is to get the marketing out there and focus on outside of the United States. I have "YouTube" video commercials out there and websites, etc.. but one of my favorite things is to market face to face if possible. That is why I love shows. You get to be exposed to all types of people and you never know who you will get to meet and possibly collaborate with.

What would you say is the greatest source of fuel for your vocal creations? Do you produce as well? At first I would say my daughter Ani'jah but, when I think about it.. it comes from everyday life. I did not just wake up one day and say "Hey... I think I am going to rap." I have been around music my whole life and a lot of my family are either musicians or artists in one shape or another. I have been exposed to so much and if you listen to the lyrics you tend to notice the underlying theme of how human beings are toward each other in society. We spend so much time worried about somebody beating us to the "end of the rainbow" that we forget that we need each other. The second question answer will attest to that. The group of people I keep around me are very tight knit and we work together for the greater good... kind of like superheroes but our powers are being witty. I guess being Jamaican (West Indian) is a plus too, natural rhythm...seen?

Production....? LOL Of course!! I usually produce my own beats for albums... about 70% of the album is created in my head and on paper first. I usually go about creating the theme and the mood and that dictates the album itself. Sometimes I just fall into a good idea. The new one coming is called UDONCAHMENOMAH (you don't call me no more). It is named that since the producer Clint Partie (note: shameless plug--check him out on MySpace.) disappeared after making me the beats. I added to the beats and whala!! the next one called "God Burned U" I am producing five out of the eleven songs so this will be a good run. I would rather be making beats for others as well as me but I am kind of a homebody.

How receptive of an audience do you have in the region of the country you're located in? Portland, Oregon??? Hmmm... it is wack here.. mostly because you will have each person who is a good artist out here hate on the next man for trying to come up... kind of like crabs in a pot. But that is everywhere you say??? NO... super different here. I lived in Sacramento, CA. and the vibe out there was fresh.. people hated but the accepted the fact that we need each other to come up and get recognition as a unit. But in the region?? Yes I get love most people compare me to Aesop Rock and Saafir mixture. (Street Smart) I guess I have fans but I try to stay humble and keep in the same realm as the people that listen to my music. A simple man with a kid trying to have fun and meet new folks.

Thus far, what has been the most rewarding experience you've had directly related to your involvement in music? It is a mixture of things... the people I get to meet, the TRAVEL, the opportunities to make art for others albums... (I will elaborate in a sec). I have gotten to work with folks from Del, Prince Po from Organized Konfusion (If you don't know who they are then you need a head check), Living Legends, Blacksilver, and lots of others. These are cats that I know are "real people" not some character unless they are on stage. Its like... they can take the superhero suit off and still be great as people y'know? So I guess the relationships built over time and having true friends around you. In this day and age you never know who to trust anymore.

How long do you think you'll continue to rhyme? Is there anything else in music that you do or intend on doing during your career? You have no idea how many times I have tried to stop but its like a creature in me that needs to release every once in a while. I don't think I have control anymore. For real!! I am also a multimedia designer and have done work for Adidas , Nike, skate companies and various clothing companies so I would keep that up. I really want to make movies, or voice act.. then write the score for them. I want to keep painting and drawing and making movies, etc. I am involved in every part of this culture.. and I don't have a choice in the matter.

Name 5 of your favorite non-hiphop albums.
Non hip hop albums huh? That's easy.. 1. Love, Sex, and the Zodiac (Jazz Album), 2. Mezzanine (Massive Attack), 3. Peepins Tom (Mike Patton- which I would love to work with), 4. Lover's Rock (Sade), and last but not least 5. High Water (Jazz Album)

"B4 Digital - Kiew Nikon" length: 01:52
Kiew_Nikon.jpg Stream HIFI B4 Digital - Kiew Nikon play HiFi (mp3)


Check'em out! http://www.myspace.com/nokinweik
http://www.myspace.com/slumphardproductions

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain