March 24, 2008

Q&A With Scott Egbert

First off. Who in the hell is this Scott Egbert character anyway? Egbert. What's yah lineage pal? I'm pretty much on the typical Euro-Mutt tip best I can tell. Irish, Scottish type of thing. I do, however, have a friend that is related to a pope. Swear.

So why be involved with music? The behind the scenes thing is not always so enjoyable. Did you always want to do what you're doing now? From a young age .. maybe 10 .. I felt like there was more to music than what was coming out of the radio. It's hard to explain but I just threw myself into it - took piano lessons, learned guitar and some other instruments .. and just listened to records like a fiend. Learned to play, wrote songs .. played in bands, managed , booked, owned a venue, had a little label .. pretty much have done a little of everything ..

I have a friend (who smokes Marlboro Red - see below) and I remember him telling me that he was somewhat envious that at such a young age I "knew what I wanted to do". He was right except for the horrendous perils, hips and valleys that accompany any career in music - or entertainment at large. Like DUH .. who doesn't want to be a tennis player or pro Golfer? But it's f*****' impossible!!!

Dude, are you ever gonna quit with the smokin? What brand do you deal with? Did you start as a young punk that thought it made you look cool? What's the back story man? Surely a few of your laundered dollars have helped fund and expedite at least the re-tiling of the bumper room at one of Philip Morris' Malibu beach properties. I know man, smoking is gonna get me one way or the other. As you can imagine, I look cool even when I don't smoke! But I started out nickin' a few of my mom's Vantage when I was a kid - then graduated to my current wonderful brand - Marlboro Lights.

I grew up in f***** Winston Salem, NC man ... my high school was called RJ Reynolds .. yet my boys and I smoked Marlboro Lights ..

What's your take on this 2008 election? What do you know about super delegates and their 'alleged' super powers? I'm going to say this to you in an effort to mask my party affiliation. I really follow politics like an animal. And I want use frank and candid language - in a country as blessed as the USA - superior worldwide in SO man areas - despite our well-publicized blemishes - It seems incredible and pathetic to me that these THREE present candidates that will be force fed to us are he best we can put on the field out of a population pushing 300 million people. On the other hand who would WANT the job?

On a date with a fair maiden, do you: A. Do it 'dutch style'?. B. Go for broke and dazzle the damsel? C. Go to the shi shi restaurant notice you've forgotten your 'bleepin' wallet suddenly when the check comes and er uh, make an exit through the kitchen? Well I've tried all of those things except ditchin' through the kitchen .. why the f*** would you try to go out through the kitchen man?? Too many humps back there and someone is bound to yell " Hey stop that guy!!!". Then you're done! I'm never going on a date with you.

Are you a gambling man Scotty? What's the most you've ever lost over a card game, horse race, dog fight or talon for talon rooster brawl? It's cool, we won't Mike Vick yah. Promise. I bet a little football. Play pool often for modest gentleman's wagers and play some online poker. Pool is the king of parlor games for me sir.

What would you say the best venue in the states is sound wise. What's the worst? Strangely one of the best - at least in the league that matters most to me - was CBGB's. Small and filthy as it was, it was hard to sound bad in there. Metro in Chicago, not to mention the Viper Room in LA are strong as well.

Do you think the 800 pound gorilla in the room sees *Harvey as well? Not only does he see him but, inexplicably, in my dream at least, he is altering the dude's pants. You know .. like making marks on them with that weird chalk that I don't think is regular chalk ...

*Harvey

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain